The 5 Elements of a Strong Investor Relations StrategyMarch 5, 2020 1:57 pm
Here are five elements of a successful investor relations strategy:
- Be clear about your brand purpose and consistent in how you communicate it. From copy on your website and printed collateral to public statements and social media posts, the strongest messaging reveals the why that drives your company — not just to perform for profit, but also add greater value to the world.
- Think bigger than adapting last year’s investor relations plan to this year’s calendar. You can better allocate resources by taking inventory of what has been effective and what could be improved. Consult with departments like accounting, finance, and marketing to build a plan aligned with broader long-term vision.
- Make it easy for everyone to get a complete picture of your position and strategy. From shareholders to prospective investors, if information is not easy to find and digest, they will turn their attention elsewhere. A fully integrated investor relations website is essential to centralize financial reports, earnings calls and company news.
- Walk the walk on Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) to earn credibility. It is likely not a matter of if but when your company will face Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) challenges from investors, media, customers or all. Stated goals need budgets and timetables to be taken seriously.
- Convey your performance and values through proactive storytelling. Highlight thought leadership and news through a range of content types like videos, blogs and infographics. Capitalize on compliance and disclosure as opportunities to frame your company narrative in context through media-rich press release distribution.
Investor relations teams have a unique opportunity to build trust through transparency. You can accomplish this and achieve your growth goals by communicating stories that resonate with investors.